This was Dejr az-zôr (Dayr al-Zūr), a town on the right bank of the Euphrates. Musil states that the inhabitants of this town made their living mainly through trade. They made carpets and blankets for settled villagers and nomads. They also purchased goat’s and sheep’s butter which they mainly exported to Damascus. They traded these goods for cotton and linen from Damascus and Aleppo; and tobacco and fine cloaks from Baghdad. There were around 4,000 Muslims, 800 Syriac Christians, 600 Armenian Catholics, and 200 Jews living in Dayr al-Zūr in 1912.